Monday, May 25, 2009

friday fingerprints and other stuff

This post contains lots of stuff that may not be very interesting, but it's nice to look back and see when things happened. I'll pepper it with pictures to keep your attention. Or you can just look at the pictures...I'll never know! :)
On Friday we got up early (very early) to head up to the USCIS (Immigration) office in Durham. We got there shortly after they opened and Silas charmed everyone within reach of us. He always does. Met two other adoptive families. One is praying for twins from China and the other a daughter from Nepal. As I looked around the room, I was so impressed with the people sitting and waiting. What courage it must take to travel to a country, possibly not speak or understand the language, and try to make a new life for yourself and your family. As a American born citizen, even I felt a little stressed there...metal detectors, no smiles, don't want to make a wrong step, etc. I'm just saying, I have respect for those who are here and brave the Immigration office that is very intimidating. Would I do that for my family? For a better life? I know what it's like to be in a country where you understand just snippets of the language, but I had the safety of Little America and it was my choice to walk out of that comfort zone.
All went well. We both got fingerprinted and hopefully our I-171H form will come in a timely manner. That is basically our permission slip to bring two orphans into the US.
After that we stopped at Chick-fil-A for some breakfast (did I mention we got up really early?) and ended up eating in the parking lot. I stood at Silas' door and fed him. He was pointing up at the sky between bites and when I finally looked up I saw that he had been pointing at a beautiful rainbow. It was the most circular rainbow I've ever seen. Reminded me of the last time we saw a rainbow...


Then we continued on to visit with our Social Worker. We did our 12 month post placement visit with her and let the kids play together. She's been in our home so much lately with the home study that we were given permission to meet outside the home. And we were in the neighborhood. We like to make the most of our time. Time spent with her is always good.

On our way home we stopped by the outlet mall and Silas got his first pair of crocs since his feet are always getting wet. I don't think I've ever laid eyes on anything cuter.
Now we take pictures of the house and get some passport sized photos taken and along with that I171-H form I mentioned above and all of the other paperwork we've been gathering, notarizing and certifying.....that there will be a completed dossier. Ole! Oh and I finished my Hague training tonight and Marshall has to do his 8 HOURS. Sorry honey.

And last, but not least...do you see that pepper? It's a real, live pepper! In my garden. Double Ole!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great pics and the text isn't boring at all! :-) But then again, we're just a little bit ahead of you in the process (by about 2 weeks) so the stuff you talked about is my life too. Fascinating! :-) I was happy to finally complete the training too!

Warmly,
Jennifer
www.ConvergentPaths.com

tisha said...

Sounds like things are coming right along for your second adoption! Yay!

And congratulations on your pepper!! It's so exciting watching things (you plant yourself) grow! :)
Tisha

Amy said...

Have you ever planted eggplant? I am considering it....random question, I know! Can't wait to hang out next weekend!

Rob and Candy said...

Congrats on the one year post placement!! Silsa remains as cute as EVER. I love the pepper.

mama becca said...

Hi Jill!
haven't been to your blog in awhile... your "baby" is too cute (don't they grow so fast??). Sam just got some crocs too...
congrats on your fingerprints!
becca

Tracy said...

yay progress!! silas is just yummy! you can just see his precious personality!!