Friday, May 18, 2007

Visiting Orphans

We are about one month out from the mission trip to Ethiopia. I am so excited that I can hardly sleep. The group had a conference call last night. I’m always even more excited and encouraged after a conference call. What a great group of people the Lord has brought together for this.

Let me tell you a little about the trip and why I’m going. Well, there are 4.6 MILLION reasons to go to Ethiopia. That’s right. There are an estimated 4.6 million ORPHANS in Ethiopia. And that is just in Ethiopia, which is about twice the size of Texas.

What an awesome opportunity…..I will get to love on children, draw pictures with them, sing songs, kick a soccer ball, giggle and love on them some more and show them the love of Jesus, just by being there. Jesus said in John 14:18, “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” That’s what I want to do for every orphan that is put in my path. We certainly can’t adopt them all, but we can love them. This is also a way for me to connect with and give back to the country that our Noah will come from.

People have asked how they can help. Well, there are many ways. Most importantly please pray for me as I prepare physically, mentally, and spiritually. Because my heart, Noah, is in Ethiopia, I’m afraid I’m not going to want to come home when the trip is over. :)

We are also still gathering the funds needed for the trip, as well as donations for the orphanages we’ll be visiting. Because I am only allowed 44 pounds of luggage total, I have thought a lot about what kind of donations I should take with me. One orphanage we will visit has babies that just don’t get a lot of stimulation. I’d like to collect good developmental toys like these below. They are light for packing purposes and will do a lot of good to keep those little minds stimulated. I found these pictures at http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_l_3_1041628_3/602-2998572-5682229?ie=UTF8&node=13706901


I am also collecting monetary donations to take and support the local economy there. I will be able to see what is needed and buy it there….double support.

So, if you would like to help in any way, please let me know.

Check out www.visitingorphans.org for more information on the trip. Donations can be given directly on the site; please put my name in the Memo box.

Above all, please pray for me, the entire team and the precious little people we get to visit.

No comments: