Wednesday, April 28, 2010

must read

I realize this blog is sorely lacking. So sorry about that! These boys are keeping me hopping. I feel like with Jude being 10 weeks old (how in the world did that happen?!) we're getting into a routine and constantly moving at the same time.

I think I last left you with the news that Marshall was home. He was really here!! That seems like a long time ago! We had a wonderful time with him. We vegged out, caught up, went to the zoo, shopped and stop the press...went on a date! I don't have pictures of the date. :)

Since then we have planted a garden, joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), neglected this blog, enjoyed the Texas Bluebonnets,spent too much time on Facebook, enjoyed the bluebonnets again,celebrated Easter,played at the park and daily enjoy a fantastic life.
Not to be a downer, but while I'm enjoying the many blessings of my life, I can't shake the burden for those less fortunate. People just like me except they have no access to clean drinking water or if they get bitten by a mosquito they may die of malaria or they don't know where their next meal is coming from or they're in a nursing home and can't remember the last time someone visited.
And I can't shake the Scriptures about how as a Christian, it's my responsibility to care for and about these people. Jesus loves them and so should I. If I was orphaned wouldn't I want someone to adopt me and become my family? He (God) did that for me.
I have seen poverty up close and personally and I have no excuse not to act. Once we know, we are responsible.

I'm reading this book and I think you should too. The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns, president of World Vision, is rocking my world and I hope you'll let it rock yours too. We can make a difference. We HAVE to. Especially is we claim to love and follow Jesus.
If you say, "But we knew nothing about this,"

does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?

Does not he who guards your life know it?

Will he not repay everyone according to what they have done?

Proverbs 24:12

Go get that book and let me know what you think! Or if you've already read it, give me your opinion.

6 comments:

Holly said...

Read it last spring. LOVED it and think EVERY Christian should read it!
There is most definitely a HOLE in our gospel...of our doing, not HIS.
If we would only live with ETERNITY in mind...our lives and thus this world would look so very different!!

The Stums said...

I'm reading it now, too, Jill. It is rocking my universe. It is so hard to read those pages and KNOW I am responsible to ACT when I step out my suburbia front door into all the luxuries that most people will never, ever experience. It's haunting, really. I'm not a better person because I simply know about needs in the world. What am I supposed to do about it? What does that look like on an average Wednesday morning?

Rob and Candy said...

I think it's on our bookshelf. I look forward to reading it!

Sarah said...

I read it over Christmas and have passed it around to several friends - such great things to ponder. I followed it with "One Million Arrows" by Julie Ferwerda and "Too Small to Ignore" by Wess Stafford. I highly recommend those as well.

Love the pictures. Your boys are sweeties!

Carpenters said...

Ahhhh, thanks for sharing Jill. Your boys are so handsome. Glad to hear all is well.

Danielle said...

Oh Jill! It's been way too long. What a precious, precious little boy you have. Two little boys, for that matter. I think life settled into a routine with our newborns around 5 months when I was so crazy I couldn't take it anymore, so you're doing well :)

Can't wait to read the book--although I need to get through Compassion president's "Too Small to Ignore" first! Why are their so many good books to read? And we wonder why we aren't getting out in our world enough~

Much love,
Danielle